We are beginning Phase 1 of the South Carolina High School League’s 3-Phased Approach on Monday June 15, 2020 with Fall Varsity and JV athletes. The 3-phased approach for return to high school sports was designed by League Staff, SC Superintendents, member school Athletic Directors and Coaches, and the Sports Medicine Advisory Committee. This approach was designed to minimize and help eliminate the risks of COVID-19 cases that can be attributed to organized sports.
Some guidelines set forth from the SCHSL:
• No balls or sports equipment may be used the first 10 days of workout or 14 calendar days to minimize points of contact.
• Athletes must wear face coverings when not involved in activity and coaches must wear face coverings at all time. (we will have face coverings available if needed)
• There will be no more than 10 participants in each group.
• All Coaches and Athletes will be screened daily for COVID-19 symptoms before workouts.
• Athletes can bring their own water bottles or water will be provided for them
• This Phase 1 will be in effect until further notice
Our plan is to begin Phase 1 with Fall Varsity and JV Programs (Football, Volleyball, Boy’s and Girl’s Cross Country, Girl’s Tennis, and Competition Cheer) for the first 2 weeks. We plan to include Winter High School Athletics on June 29th and Spring Sports / Middle School Athletes on July 6. While we want to get everyone back on campus for summer workouts, safety is our number one priority. We will have many guidelines in place for a safe environment for our athletes to work.
We will be offering Sports Physicals at Broome on Friday June 12th from 12-5 for rising 9-12th grade. They will be $20 cash.
Time frames as followed:
12:00-1:00 Fall Male Athletes
1:00-2:00 Fall Female Athletes
2:00-3:00 Winter/Spring Male Athletes
3:00-4:00 Winter/Spring Female Athletes
4:00-5:00 anyone that can’t make earlier times
• Students must have Physical, History, Parent Permission, Concussion and New Assumption of Risk Form completed.
• If a student athlete already has a physical, they need to bring them during the appropriate time frames so they can be added to a group.
• Forms are at school in front office, on Facebook, twitter, and our district website. If you need me to run a packet to someone, get me their address and I will.
• They will not be allowed to get physicals unless the forms are completely filled out and signed.
• They cannot start any training until they have physicals completed.
Summer 2020 Athletic Safety Guidelines and Precautions
• All summer workouts are encouraged; however, they are not mandatory for any sport.
• Coaches and athletic personnel will follow all safety procedures set by the South Carolina High School League. SCHSL Guidelines are posted on www.spartanburg3.org.
• Daily, all athletes will have their temperatures taken and answer the DHEC health screening questions before each workout by the Broome High School training staff or the athletic director.
• Any athlete running a fever or answering ‘yes’ to any of the health screening questions will not be allowed to workout or practice.
• All athletes must have a completed physical form on file to participate.
• Athletes will be required to wear a face mask when not actively participating in a workout or practice. Face masks will be provided.
• All athletes will be provided individual water bottles during the workouts.
• Locker room facilities will not be open for use. Athletes need to report ready to participate.
• Athletes and coaches will adhere to social distancing requirements.
• Athletes will participate in groups of nine or less during all workouts.
• All areas used will be cleaned thoroughly with appropriate disinfectant before the next use.
• Alcohol-based sanitizers and adequate hand washing stations will be provided for all athletes.
• No spectators will be permitted to attend workout sessions.
• The District Three Administration reserves the right to modify and adjust these guidelines and precautions based on recommendation from DHEC and the CDC.